Are you passionate about helping individuals with disabilities or special learning needs? Would you like to pursue a rewarding career that allows you to truly make a difference? The Special Education major at CMU will deliver just what you’re looking for. You will become confident and ready to teach in special education settings, as you build the vital skills employers seek.
About This Program
The Special Education major focuses around teaching methods, mind development, and
instruction for special needs students. You will receive a strong academic foundation
that guides you in understanding the needs of those who require special accommodations,
and will learn to successfully recognize and evaluate developmental behavior. You
will feel confident in your ability to cater to an individual’s personal needs.
As a CMU Special Education major, you will have opportunities to:
- build an in-demand skill set while taking classes such as Introduction to Special Education, General Methods of Teaching, Exceptional Child, Counseling in Special Education, and more
- develop workplace skills that allow you to naturally analyze information, answer questions, communicate effectively, develop ideas, hold the attention of both audiences and individuals, and encourage others to grow and learn
- participate in hands-on learning through projects, observational and field experiences, and internships
- become an educator who is highly desired for your compassion, creativity, leadership skills, and teaching abilities
- receive the preparation needed to earn an advanced degree
- Bachelor of Science in Education - Special Education, Mild to Moderate Disabilities K-12, CLAS, CGES
Other CMU Education Degrees
- Child Development
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Studies
- Elementary Education
- Physical Education
- Middle School Education
- Secondary Education
- Master of Education
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.
After being accepted to CMU, students wishing to pursue a degree in Education must meet the additional requirements for full acceptance into the program.