Applying and Admission for International Students

How do I gain admission?

Apply online, and submit the following documents to the Office of Admission:

  • Official Secondary transcripts in the original language with an English translation
  • Official Post Secondary transcripts in the original language with an English translation
  • Official score report for TOEFL, IELTS, SAT or ACT scores
  • A scanned copy of the passport biography page and any visa previously used to enter the U.S.A.
  • Note: Your passport must be valid for six months beyond the start of your first term at CMU
  • Financial documentation, affidavit of support, letter from the sponsor's bank
  • Note: the financial documents cannot be dated more than six months prior to your first CMU term

You will be notified of your admission status by email as soon as we receive the required documents.

Obtaining an F-1 Student Visa

studentsThis school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students.

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) provides the U.S. Government, educational institutions and exchange programs with an automated means of exchanging information about international students, exchange visitors, and their dependents. All higher education institutions must comply with SEVIS regulations.

A student's certificate of eligibility is an I-20. this document is used to apply for an F-1 student visa.

After you have been accepted to CMU and paid your $200.00 enrollment deposit, we will mail your I-20 package. Your SEVIS number is located in the upper right corner of the I-20.

  • Use your SEVIS number to pay the I-901 fee online, and print a payment receipt.
  • Make a VISA appointment with the U.S. Embassy.
  • Take your passport, financial documentation, I-901 Receipt, and education records to your visa interview.
  • When the consular officer approves your visa, pay the visa fee. Return to the embassy to pick up the visa on the scheduled date.

Ten Points on Applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa

How do I transfer from another SEVIS approved school?

After you have been accepted, you should contact the DSO at your current school and request to have your SEVIS record transferred to CMU. Download and print the SEVIS Transfer Request, and send this form to your DSO, indicating the date you wish the transfer to become effective. Once the SEVIS record has been transferred to CMU, a new I-20 can be processed for you.

If you are transferring from another SEVIS approved school, and your visa is still valid for entry into the United States, it will not be necessary to obtain a new visa at the time of transfer.