International Job Search

Due to the many federal guidelines and regulations regarding the employment of non-U.S. citizens, job searching can be a challenge for international students selecting to work in the United States upon graduation. Employers are often unfamiliar and inexperienced with the process; therefore it is important that international students become familiar with the American job search process and current government policies.

Key Terminology

  • F-1 visas: Eligible international students have the opportunity to work full-time in the United States for 12 months after graduation.
  • H-1B visas: Employer-sponsored international employees are allowed to work in the United States for 1-6 years.

Employer Point of View

  • Many companies are unfamiliar with the process which continues to change and adjust, leaving the employer with the idea that the process is complicated and costly.
  • Due to the current economic climate, many employers worry about taking jobs away from American citizens.
  • There may also be concern that once the organization trains the employee, they may choose to return to their country of origin.
  • Additionally, employers interested in hiring international students must:
    • Sponsor an employee to receive his/her H-1B visa
    • Petition the government for the visa
    • Gain approval from the Labor Department
    • Obtain the necessary legal council
    • Fund the process

What to do?

  • International students should develop an understanding of the additional responsibilities imposed on employers when it comes to hiring international students as well as all the steps involved.
  • International students must also understand the American job search process.