Benefits of an Internship
Benefits to the student include the opportunity:
- To test and apply academic theory in a work setting.
- To develop and expand knowledge and skills in a specific field.
- To work and learn from professionals in the field.
- To feel a sense of accomplishment through their working contribution to an organization.
- To make the transition from the classroom to the world of work.
- To clarify career goals.
Benefits to the sponsoring organization include:
- The services of mature students who are highly
motivated, achievement oriented,
academically qualified, and eager to learn.
- The opportunity to undertake special projects or short-term assignments.
- The fresh perspective of current academic knowledge in specialized fields.
- The opportunity to observe potential future employees.
Benefits to the internship advisor (faculty member) include the opportunity:
- To participate in and benefit from the intellectual,
personal and professional growth of students
learning in professional work environments.
- To gain knowledge of current practices in professions related to their academic disciplines.
- To make contact with professionals in fields outside of academia.
- To expand their understanding of how classroom theories apply to the work place.