Special Education: Mild-Moderate Disabilities
The undergraduate programs provided by the Division of Professional Education at Central Methodist University offer a rigorous and comprehensive initial Educator Preparation Program in Mild-Moderate Disabilities. The program reflects the most recent Council for Exceptional Children and State of Missouri professional standards. The curriculum is a result of a collaborative effort of the Education faculty. Please note that courses with the SE discipline code are offered only online.
The standards-based curriculum features
- a commitment to the preparation of reflective education practitioners to serve in both rural and urban environments;
- a commitment to a curriculum that is inculcated with a global perspective that values and appreciates the contributions of a multicultural student population;
- a common core of courses for all Special Education majors;
- a series of fieldwork experiences that provide opportunities for early application of performance standards concurrent with courses containing related knowledge standards;
- a series of fieldwork experiences that provide opportunities for early and on-going investigation of the needs and opportunities for teaching in rural and urban environments;
- a full semester capstone student teaching experience;
- a performance-based evaluation system.