Degree Offered: Bachelor of Science in Special Education
Please see the specific campus page for degree offerings at that location.
The undergraduate programs provided by the Department of Education at Central Methodist University and the Department of Educational Studies at Saint Louis University offer a rigorous and comprehensive initial educator preparation program in Mild-Moderate Disabilities. The departments completed a total curricular review for the purpose of developing a joint undergraduate program in Mild-Moderate Disabilities. The program reflects the most recent Council for Exceptional Children and State of Missouri professional standards. The curriculum is a result of a collaborative effort of the faculty of both institutions and is implemented using a collaborative model that draws on the strengths of both institutions.
The standards-based curriculum features a:
- commitment to the preparation of reflective education practitioners to serve in both rural and urban environments;
- commitment to a curriculum that is inculcated with a global perspective that values and appreciates the contributions of a multicultural student population;
- common core of courses for all special education majors;
- series of fieldwork experiences that provide opportunities for early application of performance standards concurrent with courses containing related knowledge standards;
- series of fieldwork experiences that provide opportunities for early and on-going investigation of the needs and opportunities for teaching in rural and urban environments;
- full semester capstone student teaching experience