Scholarships and Grants
After the FAFSA, Statewide Locations and Graduate Students
- Student Aid Report (SAR): After completion of the FAFSA on the Web, a Student Aid Report will be sent by email.
If a SAR is not received, please contact FAFSA at 1-800-4-FED-AID to verify the status
of the application. The CMU Financial Assistance Office (FA Office) will also receive
a copy of the SAR and will use this information to determine your financial aid eligibility.
- Verification: FAFSA applications are randomly selected by Central Processing at FAFSA for verification
of submitted data. If your application was selected for verification, the FA Office
will request additional documentation. Your financial aid will remain estimated until
verification is complete. The required documents for verification are:
- Income Tax Documents - Tax documentation is needed from both the student (if filed)
and parent (if student is dependent). You have two options for providing tax documentation:
- Correct your FAFSA on the Web using the IRS Data Retrieval Process to import your
tax information (preferred option), or
- Provide an IRS Tax Return Transcript. The IRS Tax Return Transcript can be requested
by: (Please be aware that it may take 6-8 weeks to receive tax transcripts from the
- Verification Worksheet (select Independent or Dependent based on FAFSA results)
- If you marked yes to question #75 or #96, (food stamp benefits), documentation from
the agency that shows you received food stamps in the two years previous.
- Itemization Worksheet (required when the family's adjusted gross income falls below the United States Poverty
- Documentation: Financial assistance cannot be awarded until the following documentation has been
- All previous college transcripts are submitted to the CMU admissions representative;
- An official Letter of Acceptance from CMU is made;
- If student loans are desired, all required steps to request a loan are complete; and
- Financial Aid Eligibility Notice must be signed and submitted through the student's
- Upon students' acceptance to CMU, site representatives send all necessary documents
to the Financial Assistance office. Once financial aid eligibility has been determined,
students can view their financial aid on myCMU. After a student's aid is finalized,
the student will receive an email letting them know they need to accept or reject
their aid. The award letter can be found on the student's myCMU account, under the
Student Tab, then click on Financial Aid, then Financial Aid Awards. Choose the Award
Year, then click on "Accept/Decline Aid." Follow the instructions and then hit submit
to complete the process. Students do not have to accept all aid offered. Remember:
Loans must be repaid.
- Students expecting a refund should check myCMU to determine when a credit has been
issued. Refund checks are written once a week, beginning around the third week of
the semester, and mailed to the students home address.