As an institution of higher learning, CMU recognizes and rewards those who understand the significance of academic success. The CMU academic scholarships are awarded to incoming undergraduate CLAS students on the basis of a student's academic record of GPA and ACT scores. CGES students are not eligible for institutional scholarships. Hall of Sponsors and Endowed Scholarships underwrite most of the Financial Aid that CMU awards. The generosity of alumni, friends and churches allows Central the opportunity to offer aid to many of our students. The institutional scholarship package that an incoming freshman or transfer student accepts prior to the beginning of the first school year with CMU is the scholarship that the student will receive for up to 10 semesters of matriculation at the University, provided that they maintain the appropriate GPA required for their scholarship. The exception to this statement is the amount of award a student can receive for participation in athletics or talent programs can be adjusted to reflect performance or participation.
Academic Scholarships for Incoming Freshmen
For both domestic and international students, academic scholarships vary from $5,000 to $12,000 and are based on GPA and test scores.
Academic Scholarships for Incoming Transfer Students
For both domestic and international students, academic scholarships vary from $5,000 to $9,000 and are based on the number of transfer hours and the student's GPA.
Half Tuition Scholarships*
CMU offers half-tuition scholarships to CLAS students who meet or have achieved certain criteria as listed below. The applying student must meet or exceed CMU's basic academic admission standards, attend full time at the Fayette campus in pursuit of an undergraduate degree, and must have a 2.5 GPA both in high school and while at CMU. These scholarships cannot be combined with an academic or participatory scholarship.
- A+ Program Scholarship: Any student who has completed the A+ program during high school will be eligible for a half-tuition scholarship. A transfer student must have maintained A+ eligibility at a junior college or community college. A+ scholarships need fulfillment documentation from the students high school.
- Dual-Credit Half-Tuition Scholarship: Any student who has completed at least two dual-credit classes through CMU will be eligible for a half-tuition scholarship.
- United Methodist Half-Tuition Scholarship: To qualify for the United Methodist Half-Tuition Scholarship, a student must be an active United Methodist Church member in good standing with his or her local church for at least one year, which must be verified by the pastor. United Methodist Certification Form
- Legacy Grant: Students who have a parent, grandparent, or sibling who has graduated from CMU are eligible for this half-tuition grant. The Legacy Grant Form should be submitted for certification.
- Sibling Grant: Students who have a sibling currently enrolled at CMU are eligible for this half-tuition grant. If the sibling graduates, the awarded student will be eligible for the Legacy Grant. If the sibling withdrawals, the awarded student will no longer be eligible for this award.
Participatory scholarships are awarded to full-time undergraduate students participating in designated CMU activities. The scholarships vary in amount and require an audition, interview, or tryout with the appropriate activity director or coach. A student may combine only one participatory scholarship and academic scholarship. Participatory scholarships are available in athletic and non-athletic areas and are evaluated for each student individually on a yearly basis. Participatory scholarships cannot be combined with any half-tuition scholarship. CGES students are not eligible for participatory scholarships.
- Academic Fellowship Scholarship: To receive the CMU Academic Fellowship Scholarship, a student must be enrolled at CMU as a full-time student and have completed an interview with the Academic Division chair in the student's academic division of interest. Consideration will be based upon the student's academic record, activities, involvements and achievements. Upon receiving this award, students will be expected to participate in departmental activities as directed by the Academic Division Chair and submit a year end summary outlining the student's responsibilities and involvements. This is a yearly scholarship; renewal is based upon satisfactory completion of these items. Application
- Service Scholar Award: To receive the CMU Service Scholar Award, a student must be enrolled at CMU as a full-time student. Consideration will be based upon the student's academic record, activities and involvements. Upon receiving this award, students will be expected to participate in various service activities as directed by the Service Oversight Committee and submit a year end report outlining the student's responsibilities and involvements. This is a yearly scholarship; renewal will be based upon satisfactory completion of these items. Application
- Other participatory scholarships:
Athletic Participatory Scholarships Non-Athletic Participatory Scholarships Baseball
Basketball - Men and Women
Cross-Country - Men and Women
Golf - Men and Women
Soccer - Men and Women
Track and Field - Men and Women
See the private scholarships page for more opportunities.
*Half-tuition scholarship increases with the cost of tuition each academic year as long as the student maintains a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. A returning student may have one probation semester to get his/her cumulative GPA back to 2.5 or above. If a students cumulative GPA falls below 2.5 for two semesters, his/her scholarship will be based on the academic matrix. The half-tuition scholarships cannot be used in conjunction with any other scholarship at CMU.
Conditions of Note:
*Institutional scholarships are not available to College of Graduate and Extended Studies students.
*Institutional aid will not exceed $2,000 over tuition.
*Institutional aid may be reduced if assistance is received by third parties.
*Pending final approval