Students wishing to be admitted to the Master of Clinical Counseling program must meet the following criteria:
Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
18 or more hours of coursework in psychology, counseling, social work or a closely related field
Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale. Exception: Applicants with undergraduate GPAs lower than 3.0 will be considered for provisional admission based upon consideration of multiple factors (for example: competitiveness of undergraduate institution, GPA in psychology courses and GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study). Students admitted provisionally will be moved to regular status if they achieve a 3.0 GPA in the first 9 hours of study. If they do not, the student will be disenrolled from the program.
Demonstration of adequate written communication skills
Demonstration of appropriate interest and aptitude for counseling profession
- Apply online
- Send official transcripts of all previously completed college/university coursework.
- Complete the criminal record check waiver and return it to the Park Hills location first. Then complete a criminal record check through Certified Background at a cost $50.00 to the applicant. To initiate this process, visit the Certified Background website. At the first screen you will see an orange text box on the right that says, "PLACE ORDER", followed by "package cod." In the "package cod" area, type CY39fp, then select GO. Finally, secure a copy of your fingerprints at one of the designated sites in your area, which is listed on the Certified Background's website.
- Submit three, one-page written statements on the following topics.
- Experiences and interests that have brought you to pursue a career in counseling?
- Professional career goals?
- Experiences you have had with diversity and what you learned about yourself.
- Submit two reference letters from individuals knowledgeable about applicant's potential to complete graduate work and to function successfully as a counselor.
Items 2, 4, and 5, above should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to CGES Admissions Office, Central Methodist University, 411 Central Methodist Square, Fayette, MO 65248.
Upon receipt and review of all information and supporting documents, applicants will be notified of their admission status. The University reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone who does not meet standards for admission.