The CMU Color Guard performs with The Sound of Central Marching Eagle Band at every home football game and during the annual CMU Band Day. Membership to the Color Guard is by audition.
Formal group auditions are held in the Spring semester. Students may audition by appointment with Caryn Jackson/Skip Vandelicht at any point of the year, or also by video submission. Dress in rehearsal blacks, prepare a performance, and be ready to learn warm-ups and a performance piece. Your prepared performance needs to last 1min 30sec to appropriate music of your choice. Integrate body movement with your equipment work to take up both time and space. Flag is required, rifle/sabre optional.
Save the Date! Spintronix Summer Camp at CMU
July 15-20, 2019
Join CMU and Spintronix Color Guards for a week-long intensive color guard camp with courses available in flag, dance, rifle, sabre, leadership, and more! Camp is open to all levels of students from those beginning their first season, senior year, or those preparing for auditions at the collegiate, DCI, or WGI level. Spinternships available to those interested in assisting in day-to-day activities of the camp.
More details coming soon!
About the instructor, Caryn Jackson:
"With over 10 years experience in the marching arts as a performer, choreographer, and director, CMU alumna Caryn Jackson's enthusiasm for Color Guard is demonstrated through success across several programs. Her focus on positive, constructive instruction yields student excitement and growth."
Her favorite experiences in the sport have been:
- marching in the 2008 Independence Day Parade in Washington D.C. with Fulton High School Band
- marching in the 2014 King William Parade in San Antonio with Performer's Academy
- leading Rock Bridge students to perform in Orlando with the 2016 Citrus Bowl
- qualifying for the 2017 WGI Regional Finals with Amethyst Independent
- qualifying for finals with Rock Bridge at the 2017 Owasso Marching Invitational
- hosting the 2018 Spintronix Summer Camp at CMU