Campus Safety Tips
The Do's and Don'ts of Being Safe On and Around Campus
DO NOT let anyone follow you into a
building. If they need in, they will have an ID card.
DO NOT prop doors, this is how people who don't belong in buildings gain access.
DO NOT "walk and talk." Talking on your cell phone distracts you from being aware of your surroundings.
DO NOT flash large amounts of money when you make a purchase.
DO NOT leave doors and windows to your room or home unlocked.
DO travel with a group, especially at night.
Don't hesitate to call security for a walking escort.
DO call the Police if you notice anything suspicious. Many crimes are prevented by phone calls about suspicious activity.
DO report a crime if you are a victim. Sensitive crimes can be reported confidentially.
DO know your neighbors and look out for each other. Knowing who lives on your floor can help you determine if someone shouldn't be in a building.
Student Safety Check-lists
- Sign-up for or update your personal information for Eagle Alerts.
- Add additional important contacts under your Eagle Alerts account (parents, guardians, loved ones, etc.).
- Become a fan of CMU on Facebook (www.facebook.com/centralmethodist) to keep up-to-date in emergency situations.
- Program an 'In Case of Emergency' (ICE) entry into your cell phone.
- Learn what you are supposed to do during an emergency.
- Keep your car locked at all times and keep valuables out of sight.
- Know where the Emergency Exits are in each building. They are posted by the stairs or elevators.
- Check your residence for safety issues (windows, locks, lighting, etc.) and report anything not functioning properly.