ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF MUSIC - FALL 2022
The Swinney Conservatory of Music at Central Methodist University seeks an assistant or associate professor to teach applied voice and other duties as assigned. This tenure-track position begins in August 2022.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Scheduling and teaching applied lessons as assigned by the department chair.
- Helping students prepare for recital performances and juries.
- Assigning grades based on assessments.
- Teaching courses as needed based on the applicant’s area of expertise (opera workshop, diction, vocal pedagogy, other music courses, etc.).
- Serving as an advisor to music students.
- Participating actively in department and campus committees, meetings, and activities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates with a completed doctorate in voice and/or vocal pedagogy are preferred and will be placed on the tenure track. Master’s-prepared applicants will be considered for a non-tenure track position.
The successful candidate will have experience teaching students majoring in music performance, music education, and music ministry, as well as singers from other majors who study as an aesthetic component to their education. Knowledge of teaching multiple styles/genres from art music to musical theatre and contemporary Christian is valued.
The successful candidate will be able to sit or stand for long periods as required for teaching lessons, opera/musical rehearsals, or in a classroom setting, and must have a clear and supported speaking voice.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
OTHER INFORMATION AND ATTRIBUTES:
Candidates should submit an application, cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references, and unofficial transcript of graduate coursework. Applications and instructions are located on the university website at www.centralmethodist.edu
CMU Employees provide collegial, collaborative contributions to their areas and the University as a whole. They should stimulate a harmonious, productive and inviting work environment that is customer service oriented. Each must maintain a commitment to the mission and purposes of CMU. Central Methodist University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.