Graduate Assistant-Sports Information
Assist the Director of Athletic Communications in the promotion of 21 varsity NAIA sports, as well as eight reserve sports, at Central Methodist University. CMU competes in the Heart of America Athletic Conference, which is the premiere conference in the Midwest Region. Gain invaluable hands-on experience working with several highly-ranked programs, including the two-time national champion men’s soccer team. Work with high-level staff, including the Vice President for Athletics and Student Life, to create positive experiences for over 500 student-athletes. Flexibility to create engaging content that will resonate with a global audience thanks to a strong population of international students on campus.
2020 Spring Semester
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Updating and maintaining official CMU Athletics website, cmueagles.com
- Includes rosters, headshots, student-athlete bios, coaching bios, schedules/results, photo galleries, record-keeping
- Writing, distributing, and posting all athletics press releases to website and social media accounts, which includes post-game recaps, all-conference awards, etc.
- Managing official CMU Athletics social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Maintaining and reporting official statistics/official record-keeping through DakStats
- Managing home contests, including official statistics and record-keeping, announcements, photos, videos, broadcast set-up, and game programs.
- Assist in coordination of special athletic department events, such as the end-of-year department banquet, department fundraisers, etc.
- Use Adobe Premiere to edit all athletics video content, which includes highlights, interviews, etc.
- Use Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop and InDesign) to design and print all athletic publications, which includes programs, game notes, schedule posters, brochures, etc.
- Coordinating and organizing athletics photos for future use in graphics
- Some photography and videography with Canon DSLR
Supervision of student workers and interns in both office and game-day settings. Train students to set up live-stream broadcasts and set up press box area. Delegate other work as deemed appropriate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in journalism, communications, sports management or related field
- Proficient video production and video editing experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in order to complete all projects efficiently and on-time
- Knowledge of stat-keeping software preferred
- Background in athletics and well-rounded understanding of a diverse array of sports
- Experience working with Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere, Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, After Effects, etc.)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) experience desirable
Some heavy lifting required to transport items from different facilities on campus, up to 50 pounds
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Proficient in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. Experience with Dakstats and web page design preferred. Understanding of and open-mindedness to new technologies.
OTHER INFORMATION AND ATTRIBUTES
Regularly requires evening and weekend work.
Candidates should submit an application, cover letter, and resume to Human Resources. Applications and instructions are located on the website at www.centralmethodist.edu.
CMU Employees provide collegial, collaborative contributions to their areas and the University as a whole. They should stimulate a harmonious, productive and inviting work environment that is customer service oriented. Each must maintain a commitment to the mission and purposes of CMU. Central Methodist University is an Equal Opportunity Employer