Carry an academic and administrative load to equal an average of 24 load hours per academic year. Responsible for the oversight and day-to-day operations clinical aspects of the Physical Therapist Assistant educational program. This position would begin Fall 2020
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Program Director in the development of the appropriate clinical standards, coursework and milieu for a Physical Therapist Assistant educational program that meets CAPTE accreditation standards.
- Participate in the process for CAPTE accreditation/re-accreditation.
- Coordinate the clinical aspects of the Physical Therapist Assistant educational program and faculty to maintain program effectiveness, accreditation standard compliance, and budgetary parameters;
- Market the PTA program to the healthcare community, inclusive of prospective students and faculty.
- Coordinate clinical load assignments in conjunction with the Program Director to assure all courses scheduled have qualified instructors.
- Function as the lead instructor for assigned PTA courses.
- Travel, within an approximate 2-hour radius, to visit each PTA student in a clinical setting at least one time during the program.
- Evaluate clinical faculty performances annually and as needed. Discuss evaluations with faculty and provide copy to the Division Chair, the Dean’s office, and the employee file.
- Oversee and resolve clinical issues and complaints.
- Complete program evaluation activities for areas of responsibility.
- Recommend contractual agreements with clinical agencies.
- Participate in the recruitment and retention of students;
- Participate in faculty recruitment;
- Participate in the University-wide, CLAS, or CGES committees as assigned;
- Assist with development and implementation of new divisional programs.
- Further professional development by participation in professional organizations and/or continuing education programs and workshops.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
Currently licensed in Missouri as a PT or a PTA (must be a PTA if the Program Director is a PTA)
Minimum of 3 years full time, post-licensure clinical work experience in Physical Therapist.
Experience with the PT/PTA relationship
Experience supervising students in the physical Therapist clinical education environment
Contemporary expertise in assigned teaching areas
Frequently stand for at least one hour consecutively.
Physically able to complete Physical Therapist professional workload
Operate classroom and meeting audio-visual equipment.
Speak loudly and clearly enough to be understood by students.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Communication: The Director of Clinical Education must be able to utilize effective communication with peers, subordinates, students and their families, and other educational providers. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ability to effectively interpret and process written and verbal information.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbally and in writing) with students, peers, clients/families, healthcare professionals, and others within the community.
- Ability to access information and to communicate and document effectively via computer.
- Ability to recognize, interpret, and respond to nonverbal behavior of self and others.
- Consistently demonstrate a professional presentation that upholds the Central Methodist University missions statements and philosophy.
Behavior: The Director of Clinical Education must be capable of exercising good judgment, developing empathetic and therapeutic relationships with students, clients and others. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ability to work with multiple students/families and colleagues at the same time.
- Ability to foster and maintain cooperative and collegial relationships with students and peers.
- Ability to provide faculty leadership and support faculty development.
Critical Thinking: The Director of Clinical Education must possess sufficient abilities in the areas of calculation, critical problem solving, reasoning, and judgment to be able to comprehend and process information within a reasonable time frame as determined by the profession. The faculty member must be able to prioritize, organize, and attend to responsibilities efficiently. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ability to collect, interpret and analyze written, verbal and observed data.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, integrate information and make decisions.
- Ability to apply knowledge of the principles, indications, and contraindications for nursing educational processes.
- Ability to act safely and ethically in the classroom and in the community.
OTHER INFORMATION AND ATTRIBUTES: This is a 10-month position and has a required minimum of 24 hours of academic and administrative load per year. Overload can be negotiated.
Serves as an effective, collegial member of CMU and Health Professions Division faculty.
- Contributes to monitoring and evaluating of students.
- Supports the work and efforts of colleagues in achieving the programmatic, divisional, and institutional mission and vision.
- Contributes creatively and helpfully to setting and meeting goals.
- Seeks innovative, cost-effective solutions to programmatic, divisional, and institutional challenges.
- Sets and meets timelines; prioritizes own work and that of faculty and students.
Refer to the CLAS Faculty Handbook for additional information about faculty responsibilities.
Demonstrates an understanding of substantial higher education issues.
Participates actively in appropriate state, regional and national professional organizations, as well as community groups.
Candidates should submit an application, cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references. Applications and instructions are located on the university website at www.centralmethodist.edu
CMU Employees provide collegial, collaborative contributions to their areas and the University as a whole. They should stimulate a harmonious, productive and inviting work environment that is customer service oriented. Each must maintain a commitment to the mission and purposes of CMU. Central Methodist University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.