Tips for Success
Online classes are built for convenience and flexibility, giving students a chance to study on their schedule. To be successful, there are several things online students should remember.
- A reliable computer - not just a mobile device
- Consistent, reliable internet access
- A technology back-up plan
- An email address you can check regularly
- The desire to succeed!
Don't Forget to...
- Manage your time
- Familiarize yourself with myCMU and take CMU190: Orientation to Online Learning
- Plan to put as much effort into an online class as you would if you were sitting in a classroom
- Remember that most Central Methodist University online courses run on an 8-week schedule, called terms, which allows students to take fewer classes at a time. This schedule does mean that assignments and readings may be longer and more frequent than an in-person class.
PC Operating System:
Windows 7 or higher
2+ GHz CPU, 4+ Gb RAM, ample Hard Drive storage space, Ethernet &/or WiFi connectivity
Mac Operating System:
Mac OS X 10.7 or higher (Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan - 10.9.5 "Mavericks" or higher recommended)
1.6 GHz or higher "Intel-Based" CPU, at least 4+ Gb RAM (8+ recommended), ample Hard Drive storage, Ethernet &/or WiFi connectivity
Internet Explorer 11 or higher (Windows), Firefox 52 or higher (any), or Safari 10 or higher (Mac) The newest Firefox release is Highly Recommended.
Microsoft Office 2013 or 2016 for Windows (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 or 2016 (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Microsoft Office 365 "Cloud" Internet version (Windows or Mac)
Students must have regular access to reliable, high-speed, internet access. (DSL, U-Verse, Cable Modem, Fiber link, etc.)
Satellite-based or Cell phone "Hot Spot" based connections are typically unsuitable. (Contact Technology Services for more information if this is your only option.)
*** NOTE ***
"Mobile" computing devices: Chromebooks, smartphones, iPads, tablets, etc. are NOT fully supported with all features of CMU online courses. There may be some features or assignments that CANNOT be done with a mobile device, and will require a "full" Desktop/Laptop computing system. If your mobile device is your primary computing device, make sure you have readily available access to a full computer system if needed.
Before classes begin, please check with your instructors for any other special technical requirements they may have. Some classes require specific software which may have their own requirements in addition to these minimums.