Child Development Degree Program
A child’s development is crucial to their future success. You can play a huge role in shaping the outcome through CMU’s Child Development major. Do you see yourself working with children in a variety of settings, from child care, to classrooms, to therapy? With this major, you will learn how to approach, analyze, teach, and care for children, while building an in-demand skill set sought out by potential employers.
About our Child Development Degree Program
The Child Development major is for those interested in a career in an early childhood setting that does not require public school certification. The major focuses around participation in many general education and early childhood courses that will provide you with abilities to establish and maintain your own day care center. Additionally, you will receive the background needed for a career in commercial and/or non-profit childcare initiatives, including Head Start Programs.
As a CMU Child Development major, you will have opportunities to:
- build in-demand skills while taking classes such as Child Health, Early Childhood Experience, Introduction to Teaching, Reading/Writing with Young Children, Curriculum Development, and Classroom/Behavior Management
- participate in hands-on learning through projects, capstone experiences in a preschool setting, and internships
- obtain the educational background desired by employers in fields such as social work, home care, counseling, teaching, and mentoring
- receive the preparation needed to earn an advanced degree
- Bachelor of Science in Child Development - CLAS, CGES
- a minor in Child Development is also available - CLAS, CGES
Admission Requirements for Child Development Degrees
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.