Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

What is CGES?

CGES stands for College of Graduate and Extended Studies, and encompasses undergraduate and graduate state-wide locations and online programming.

How do I apply?

Complete the free online application, (take care that you select the correct location). You can also email to obtain a paper application. Request that official transcripts from each institution you enrolled at (even if you withdrew or transferred the credits) be mailed to CGES Admissions, 411 Central Methodist Square, Fayette, MO 65248. We do not accept faxed transcripts as official transcripts.

I didn't get very good grades at my last college./I owe my last college money./I enrolled for a few days, then withdrew. Can CMU just disregard that transcript?

No. CMU must receive an official transcript from each regionally accredited college you attended. We will be contacting the National Student Clearinghouse which records your complete enrollment history. Failure to submit official transcripts from every institution that you have attended will result in a MAJOR delay in both the admission and the financial aid processes. We cannot accurately calculate your cumulative GPA or credit hours earned, verify you are in good standing with your previous colleges, or prepare financial aid until we have an official transcript from each college.

What are your admission requirements?

The requirements for first time freshmen have been updated. They are now differentiated by college prep high school vs not, and the ACT requirement has changed. The current requirements can be found here.

We must have official transcripts from ALL colleges you previous enrolled at, and:

  • Transfer: cumulative 2.0 or higher GPA from all previously attempted coursework
  • First-time freshman: 2.5 or higher high school GPA and a 18 or higher ACT score.
  • Students with less than 24 credit hours of college coursework: must submit college and high school transcripts. Must have 2.0 or higher GPA from all college transcripts, as well as 2.5 or higher high school GPA and 21 or higher ACT score.

How much are tuition and fees?

Tuition and fees vary between programs and locations. Please visit the Tuition and Fees page to view the most up-to-date information

How many weeks are the courses?

Most undergraduate courses meet for 8 weeks. Onsite courses meet 1-2 nights per week, in the evening, at the local site. Term I is August-October, Term II is October-December, Term III is January-March, Term IV is March-May, and Term V is June-July. 16 week courses may be available at some locations and are also available online.

How many classes can I take each term?

Students that take 6 or more credit hours in an 8-week term are considered full-time. Typical undergrad course load per 8-week term is 2-3 classes (6-9 credit hours). Less than 6 hours is considered 3/4 or 1/2 time.

How long will it take me to complete my degree?

Most degree plans can be completed in about 18-24 months if you've already completed 60 hours and/or an associate's degree and are full-time each term. First-time freshman typically complete their degree in about 4 years if they are full-time in each term. The degree plan you receive from your academic advisor after you apply/submit transcripts will show you which courses are complete, which courses need to be completed, and your expected graduation date.

Student Questions

Do I have a CMU email account?

Once you are registered for courses, the CMU Helpdesk will e-mail the address indicated on your application for admission. The e-mail will include information regarding how to access your CMU e-mail account and Canvas.

What is myCMU?

Your myCMU login and password is emailed to you after you complete your application for admission. myCMU provides tutorials, announcements, gives you access to any online courses you are enrolled in, tracks the documents received by financial aid, notifies you if you are selected for FINANCIAL AID VERIFICATION, allows you to register for future courses, provides a billing statement, and MUCH more. Tutorials are available at the myCMU homepage. myCMU links are at the top of each CMU webpage, or by accessing your site location from our website.

How do I find my Enrollment Checklist?

Login to myCMU. Click on the Student Tab. On the LH side menu, select My Enrollment Checklist. The Enrollment Checklist tracks all documents that are received or missing from all CMU offices, including admissions, financial aid, business office, and registrar.

How do I register for classes?

Your advisor will prepare a degree evaluation for you from a copy of your transcript, or, after official transcripts are received. This is your guide as to which courses are needed to complete your degree. The very first time you enroll, your advisor will have you fill out a Registration Form, Contract for Payment, FERPA, and other various forms, as applicable. You will also sign a copy of your degree plan. Only your advisor can enroll you in your very first set of classes. You can use myCMU to self-register for classes in the next terms, if desired. Conference with your advisor at least once each semester to be certain the classes you plan to enroll in for the upcoming terms are correct.

How do I obtain enrollment verification for insurance/loan purposes?

Login to your myCMU account after the second week of class and click on "Print My Schedule" to access the verification link.

What library resources are available to me?

You can access Library Resources under the Academics menu on the homepage, or from the Student Services & Resources page under Student Life. You can search catalogs and databases, utilize Mobius or the InterLibrary Loan to find books, find guides for MLA and APA styles, and more!

How do I withdraw from classes?

Step 1: Consult with your advisor regarding the class(es) you wish to withdraw
Step 2: Log into your myCMU
Step 3: Select the "Student" tab
Step 4: Select the "Register for Class" link on the left side of your screen
Step 5: Select the "Withdraw Form – Non-Fayette Campus Students"
Step 6: Complete required fields and be sure to Submit your form upon completion- you will receive a confirmation of the submission

Be aware of the refund schedule and policy! If you drop your class before the start of the term, you will not be charged for the course. When the term begins you will be charged 10% of tuition for participation during the first week. The amount you owe increases each week. Also be aware that if you withdraw from a course prior to 60% completion of the semester, your financial aid may be affected.

As a CGES distance student, how do I receive tutoring assistance?

Login to Canvas, choose your course, on the LH side of the page, click on TutorMe. Here you will find access to our online tutoring system, TutorMe.

How do I request my CMU transcript?

Official transcripts are requested through the National Student Clearinghouse. Visit the Transcript webpage. An unofficial transcript can be easily printed from your myCMU account.

What steps are required for graduation?

When you register for your first term, you should determine an expected graduation date with your advisor, sign your degree plan, and continue to meet regularly with your advisor. In the semester BEFORE you graduate, talk to your site coordinator or academic advisor about when to submit your Application for Graduation and $75 Graduation Fee. Your site coordinator/academic advisor will provide you with specific details regarding the commencement ceremony.

Payment and Financial Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?

File the FAFSA at and enter our school code 002453. Priority and MO Access Grant deadline is February 1. File your FAFSA as early as October 1. You must be admitted and registered as a degree-seeking student before the financial aid office can prepare your award letter. To receive financial aid funds, you must be admitted as a degree-seeking student and submitted all required financial aid documentation before the conclusion of the term or semester in which you are enrolled in/requesting funds for.

How do I know how much financial aid I qualify for?

After you are fully admitted to CMU and registered in classes, the financial aid office will begin working on your financial aid package. The credit hours that are transferred in from previous schools and the credit hours you are enrolled in are important factors in the calculation of your financial aid budget. An award letter will be prepared for you and listed in your myCMU account (financial aid document tracking). If you were selected for verification, you must have all verification materials submitted and verified before Financial Aid can prepare your notice. Your aid cannot be processed until you accept/deny your aid and e-sign your eligibility notice.

How do I request a student loan?

Visit the CMU Financial Assistance/Loans page. You must be admitted as a degree-seeking student before the conclusion of the term or semester in which you are enrolled in/requesting funds for.

How do I know what documents and forms Financial Aid has received from me?

Your financial aid information is tracked through your myCMU account. Login to myCMU, select the "student" tab, look on the LH side for "financial aid" and then look for "financial aid document tracking." Any forms that are received or needed will be listed here.

What is a Consortium Agreement?

If you need to take a course from a host school to count into your CMU financial aid budget, visit the Financial Aid link on our webpage, access their "Forms" link, and print the Consortium Agreement. CMU is your HOME school. The other school you are taking classes from is the HOST school. Complete your section, have your advisor complete the advisor sections. You send the form to the host school financial aid office. Host school FA Office will complete their section and send back to CMU financial aid for final approval.

When can I expect my refund?

Once enrolled hours have been confirmed when the term begins, the Business Office will begin processing refunds for accepted degree-seeking students that have submitted all required documentation. Students can refer to their "Student Billing Statement" on myCMU to see if there is a credit on their account and are due a refund. Refund checks are mailed to the address on file; please make sure to update your address before classes begin. If you are accepted and have all necessary documentation in order, refunds, if applicable, begin in the third week of classes. Depending on volume of refunds, it may take several weeks before your refund is issued

How do I contact the Business Office if I have a question about a payment plan or my bill?

All CGES students should contact 660-248-6670. You can also view and/or print your billing statement from your myCMU account.

Book Information

How do I find ISBN numbers for my textbooks?

You can find out what books are needed for each class on the Textbook Information page.

Can I get an advance on my financial aid to order books?

Yes, but only if you meet the following criteria:

  • fully admitted degree-seeking student, and
  • registered for class(es), and
  • have all financial aid steps (including verification) completed, and
  • have a Title IV credit balance available, and
  • Book Voucher Request Form is submitted through your myCMU account (under "Billing and Payments" section) no later than TWO WEEKS before the start date of a term.

Once your book voucher is available, you will receive an email from the CMU Virtual Bookstore with instructions on how to order your books. Remember, the book voucher is an advance from your financial aid and the book charge is placed on your tuition account. If your financial aid does not fully cover your tuition/book charges, you will be billed for the remainder of the balance and are fully responsible for these charges. View the  book voucher deadlines here.

How do I order my books?

If you are dependent upon financial aid to obtain textbooks, carefully read more about book vouchers above. There are specific criteria that must be met at least two weeks before the start of classes. It may be cheaper to rent or purchase your textbooks out of pocket from discount sites. Please see Consumer Affairs website for up-to-date discount/rental companies. If you obtain textbooks on your own, just jot down the ISBN numbers from the textbook list and search your favorite book sites for best prices.

Can I sell my book on the CMU virtual bookstore when my classes are finished?

CMU's online bookstore provider, eCampus, does provide a way to sell your textbooks online. Follow the instructions and form here.