Communication Program Learning Outcomes
Students will learn to communicate effectively.
- Data: Senior thesis rubrics
- Benchmark: The mean score will be 80 or higher on the senior thesis rubric (out of 100).
- Note: Sub-scores can be examined to determine how students written, verbal, organizational, logical, and critical thinking communication skills compare.
Goal: Students will learn to communicate ethically.
- Data: Ethical Quality scale
- Benchmark: The mean score will be 5 or above on the EQ scale (7-point scale).
- Note: Outside evaluation of ethical communication is a more reliable measure than self-report measures as they tend to be skewed.
Goal: Students will be confident in their communication skills.
- Data: Personal Report of Communication Apprehension scores
- Benchmark: The mean score will be below 70 (120 max score, above 72 is considered apprehensive).
- Note: Sub-scores can be examined to determine what communication contexts students arrest confident in. Sub-scores include: interpersonal, small group, meeting, and public speaking.
Goal: Students will be prepared for jobs in communication-related fields.
- Data: Job placement rates
- Benchmark: 70% of students will be working in a communication-related field, or attending graduate school, within six months after graduation.
- Note: Students job placement rates will be collected and categorized after several years of stat collection to determine the frequency and type of jobs that graduates are obtaining.