Helpful Links for International Students

Study in the States: Information from Homeland Security

Travel.State.Gov: Travel alerts

U.S. Department of Education: Information about U.S. Education structure and resources

U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Student Exchange Visitor Program: Information regarding payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee

NAFSA Health Insurance Resources: Information about health insurance

Social Security Number, Driver's License, and Bank Account

Social Security Number: If you are authorized to work on campus, or obtain permission to engage in OPT (Optional Practical Training), CPT (Curricular Practical Training), or Economic Hardship employment, you may apply for a Social Security Number.

Driver's License: International students may obtain a one year, renewable Missouri Driver's License. The required documents are: the I-20, valid passport, I-94 card, and a letter from the DSO confirming the student's full time enrollment status and current address.

Banks: International students may open a bank account by presenting their passport, a minimum deposit of $25, and a letter from the DSO confirming a full time enrollment status and a current address. There are three banks located in Fayette, and many others in Boonville and Columbia.

Other Helpful Things

Currency Converter:You should change some of your currency to U.S. dollars before you arrive, because the local banks do not provide this service.

APA Writing Guidelines: Avoid plagiarism and the frustration of not knowing how to format that paper for your next assignment. All college writing follows clearly mandated rules which can be easily understood by looking them up in the "OWL Purdue Online Writing Lab", which can be found on the Purdue University website.


Having Trouble Understanding a Word or Expression in English? Try looking it up on the Word Reference website, a reliable online dictionary and resource.