f-1 student visa

Your certificate of eligibility is the I-20, which is used to apply for an F-1 student visa. Check your I-20 to be sure that all of the information is correct. If you have dependents, they will apply for an F-2 visa which requires additional proof of financial support.

Go to the website for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate which has jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence to make a visa appointment. You will have to complete the following steps to pay your SEVIS I-901 fee and submit the visa application in order to make your visa appointment.

You will find instructions for making a visa application on the US State Department website.


Instructions for paying the U.S. Government SEVIS fee: You will need your passport number, your SEVIS ID number (upper left corner of your I-20), and the CMU School code (in the center of the first page of your I-20)

Print and retain the receipt! You will need the receipt number to make your visa appointment online.


  • 1. Online application form DS-160 (separate forms are needed for each dependent)
  • 2. Passport valid for at least six months beyond initial entry date into the USA
  • 3. A 2x2 inch passport photograph (showing full face against a light background)
  • 4. I-20
  • 5. Receipt confirming payment of $350 I-901 SEVIS fee


Resource Information to assist you in preparing for the visa interview:

The EducationUSA Advising Office near you may offer free orientation sessions.

Review the information provided by the U.S. Department of State for Visa preparation.

Be prepared to answer questions about why you chose Central Methodist University and the academic program you wish to enroll in. Be prepared to discuss how you will use your degree when you return to your home country after you complete your program.

During the visa interview, you may be asked to produce evidence of sufficient financial support (including your scholarship award letter), and your academic documentation. You will also have to establish that you have strong ties to your home country and have no intention of abandoning your permanent residence.