Admission Requirements and Credit Details
3 + 2 Athletic Training Accelerated Program Credit
For students who have been admitted to the accelerated 3 + 2 graduate program, a maximum of 29 graduate credit hours may be used toward satisfying their undergraduate degree requirements. Grades earned in the accelerated program will count in both the undergraduate and graduate GPAs. Students who drop out of the accelerated graduate program will not be eligible to use the graduate credit hours toward any graduate degree; however, the courses will continue to apply toward the undergraduate degree.
Admissions Requirements for 3+2 Accelerated Program
- • Suggested: ACT composite of 21 or higher or SAT equivalent.
- • This program is recommended for entering freshmen, student athletes, transfer students, or students who change majors early who want to pursue an athletic training degree at CMU.
- • Students on this 3+2 track are given priority admission.
- • Students who are not accepted into the MSAT program may continue with a course of study in a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science provided they meet the requirements.
- • Additional requirements listed below.
Admissions Requirements for MSAT Program
- • Completion of a minimum of 75 hours of athletic training observation documented under the direct supervision of a BOC certified athletic trainer.
- • Completion of all application materials in ATCAS.
- Athletic Training essay
- Submission of official transcripts
- Observation hours (see website for form)
- Submit three references (see website for form)
- Technical standards verification (see website for form)
- Copy of immunization records (incl. TB, Hep B, Hep C)
- Physical examination
- Criminal background check (occurs upon acceptance)
- Drug test (occurs upon acceptance)
- Proof of emergency cardiac care certification. Please see link for acceptable cards: http://www.bocatc.org/athletic-trainers#maintain-certification
- • Completion of the following prerequisites with a grade of “C” or better (no more than 2 repeats total)
- General Biology I w/Lab (e.g. CMU BI101)
- Human Physiology (e.g. CMU BI205)
- Exercise Physiology (e.g. CMU EX327)
- General Chemistry I (e.g. CMU CH111)
- General Physics I (e.g. CMU PH111)
- Statistics (e.g. CMU MA105)
- Kinesiology (e.g. CMU AH324)
- Psychology (e.g. CMU PY301 and/or PY223)
- Ethics (e.g. CMU PL306 and/or PL105) - Highly Recommended
- • A grade of “B” or better is required in all Athletic Training (AT) courses and including:
- Anatomy (e.g. CMU BI107)
- Medical Terminology (e.g. CMU AH211)
- • Upon submission of application materials, an on-site interview with MSAT Admissions Team will be required.